Mar 29, 2011

Running practice - it is not that easy

This photo has nothing to do with the text, except it is of me

I have really developed as a coach the past four months - and it have been amazing to see girls grow under my words and develop into amazing derby players. When I started coaching I just simply used lot's of drills that I knew from before - but now I've gotten to the point where I can mix in drills that I have thought up myself - or tweak drills I have in my bag of tricks already.
Coaching is not only about just flatly telling people what to do - but also to motivate the girls to do it - and explain WHY we do it. I try to do this - but sometimes also I get exhausted and just wanna tell people to shut up and skate. Usually I ask the girls after a drill what they liked about it, and what they think they learned from it. Sometimes I don't because we cannot stand around and chat all practice long - but I think this is one of the things I have started to learn how to balance.

Yesterday was a rare occasion - me and Loony got to run a small practice - I think we were only 12 girls there - and it came into two really intense hours - and we all felt very happy afterwards. It was fun... and now I'm off to another practice - this time it is mostly to test the floor of a place that we potentially can use as a Crime City training place... Oh, we all long for having weekday practices - currently practices are Friday, Saturday and Sunday... and let me tell you ... yeah... weekends are quite exhausting - especially since me and Loony coach almost all of those... 9 hours of coaching per weekend... you ought to learn something from all that... and never go to the bar... someone owe us a beer or two...

1 comment: