Mar 28, 2011

Outdoor skating in Swedish spring

Me and Ninja out and about photo by Loony
Yesterday Crime City had it's annual meeting - and that meant four hours of sitting - so before that we decided to spend about two hours skating. And as I wrote in my previous blogg - skating outdoors is great practice in many ways.
When I began skating outdoors - I had shitty non-hub wheels and it at times felt like skating in mud - but I still loved skating outdoors. I sucked it up and got the more expensive outdoor wheels and started to go at it - faster and fun it was. I been on my Kryptonics for almost two years now - and I love them - but I am always open to new things - so there might be new wheels on sight.

Sure at times it is scary when there is debris on the sidewalk, but it really has made me a much better skater. And also skating outdoors in the sun - there is really not much that can beat it - I just LOVE it!  When I was still with Rat City - we went skating with the fresh meat around Green Lake - it was really nice to skate around in a speed paceline - and GREAT for endurance and speed. Green Lake is probably one of the places I really miss in Seattle - I spent a great deal of time there - and it is also the first place I ever went roller-skating. It took me and my friend Tina skating - her on inlines she had not been on for 6 years - and me on skates that I had found in a secondhand store... It took us about 60 minutes to get around Green Lake... if not more.

Also - don't skate outdoors if it rains - it will ruin your skates and make your bearings rusty - and rusty bearings are not happy bearings. I usually use my old indoor bearings in my outdoor wheels - since I do expect my practice wheels to perform more than my outdoor ones.
(my first outdoor skate)

No comments:

Post a Comment