Nov 4, 2011

How I love off-skate work-outs....

I love bootcamps that has off-skates
So I was one of those girls that started derby because I thought it looked kool, I probably just wanted to go out and hit some girls, or hit on them, I probably liked the thought that the other girls were going to wear short skirts...
  Honestly, there could be tons of more to this story, but I don't think I put that much thought into why I wanted to do derby, except from that I had just discovered that I thought roller-skating was fab and I was really looking for something to do except spending my money at the Wild Rose  or some queer club, being terrible at talking to chicks I thought were hot, and have crushes on my friends and getting my heart broken and mending it by tequila and jumping into bushes... (there were some really good times in there too) I also had the very attractive habit of chain-smoking...

Well, long story short, I found derby and I loved it, I skated, skated and skated some more, I learned to jam, I learned to hit and got used to get hit. I got more fit than my sorry smoking ass had been in ages, I quit smoking and actually became good, no I became a GREAT derby player. I started to add extra skating sessions, I skated around Green Lake and I went to speedskating classes - I was having a grand ol' time learning to skate and playing derby. At some point I felt like I hit a wall, it was like it was telling me ''here but not further''  and I just could not figure out what I was missing.... It wasn't until I transfered to Gotham, I found that last little thing that was so easy to add in - but that just had not caught up to my brain yet... OFF-SKATE!  Off-skate made it possible to take my derby to a new level. I became stronger, felt better about myself and most of all - I became a better derby-skater!

It made me remember back in the days when I was a competative snowboarder - when I would get up before the sun rose (I lived in Tärnaby, yeah, not the sun not rising doesn't really mean that much that far North) to go for a jog before we would head down to class. We would do both strenght, agility, endurance and plyos several times a week, and I remember being sore - but also having one of the best seasons of my life, and with the least injuries too...

Off-skate practice is crucial to make you a better derby-player, it is not everything, but I promise, adding off-skate into your weekly practice scedual is gonna make your team so much better... and you know what? Just half an hour twice a week makes a big difference... Yeah - I know I am crazy...

OFF-SKATE is FUN!! Mostly because it makes me a kick-ass derby player my team can relay on but also because I can impress impressive people like Krissy Krash, Beater and Mad Maloony... yeah... that too... muuuscles... muscles... he he he he (btw Mad Maloony claims she is impressed by me - mission completed)

2 comments: