Jan 4, 2011

Ice-skating Rollerderby style

 (some of the Stockholm Rollerderby girls in full action)

So if you don't have an indoor place to rollerskate and it is negative 10 degrees celsius outside... you can always go ice-skating!
There are a whole bunch of drills you can practice on ice-skates that will help your rollerskating.  You can try things like:
- a single paceline
- one-knee falls (wach out, you will gliiiiiiide)
- cross-overs
- hockey stops
- one foot
- skating backwards
well, the list can go on, and on, and on... I sort of don't recommend hits or scrimmage practices... and wear you kneepads!! Since we roller-derby girls automatically throw ourselves on the knees when we fall... but also wearing writsguards, helmets and even elbowpads are NOT a bad idea.

Maloony tried to teach me some really simple figure skating jump, and apperently I do everything the wrong way, but some really amazing and fantastic Russian girl used to do it, so apperently hope is not out for me! 

2 comments:

  1. you saw the video Geena, Trixie, TJ and Reckless made?

    www.allderbydrills.com

    there's a video link :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guessed that it was what the video was about. I love always ice-skated when home in Sweden, before when I lived in US and had to do something while home and no rollers.

    ReplyDelete